High Waisted Bathing Suits
If you are on the modest side and on the lookout for a beach outfit which looks wonderful but not too skimpy, you will love the return of the vintage high waisted bathing suits. Don’t worry, these are not those grandmotherly, “too ancient-looking for me” type swimwear which can make you cringe just by looking at them. These high waisted bathing suits have that retro and pinup aura, which sorts of remind you of Ava Gardner and Marilyn Monroe in large sunglassess lazing around in the beach.
High waisted swimsuits, rather than sitting lower on the waist, come up to even as high as the belly button area. They are a far cry from the teeny weeny string bikinis which are normally just tied to hold them up. If you are a fan of Sex and the City or read high-end fashion magazines like Vogue, you will notice that this style which has been popular in the 1950s and ‘60s is now speedily becoming one of the hottest trends in swimwear fashion.
High-end designer brands such as Chloe and Prada have already jumped into the bandwagon, making a lot of women, ranging from the bikini-phobic and the pear shaped gain more choices than ever. Celebrities with the likes of Naomi Watts, Katy Perry, and Taylor Swift have also been spotted strutting this look.
If you have not been recently active at the gym and want to attract attention away from your stomach, high waisted bikinis are also a great choice. At the same time, if you want some leverage, there are now high waisted bikinis which have reversible patterns and ruched waists which allows users to lower the top portion of the bikini and adjust the item to their preferred length.
A DIY Guide To Sewing Your Own High Waisted Bathing Suits
You can shop online or raid the racks of your favorite mall to find a swimwear that fits and suits you. But wouldn’t it also be fun to be able to model one of your own lovely creations? If you are handy with a sewing machine, here are the basic steps on how to sew your own high waisted bathing suits.
1. You can buy a pattern or look for an underwear with the size and style you want to follow.
2. If you will not use store-bought pattern, then cut the underwear and draw the pattern on a piece of paper, modifying according to the look you are aiming for. If you want ruching on the sides, add more allowance for the gathers. It is very important to check your measurements; you do not want to come out with an ill-fitting swimsuit bottom.
3. Spandex, Lycra, and Nylon are the commonly used bikini fabric. Choose the material you are comfortable wearing and take time to select the pattern and color. Cut the cloth using the pattern. For the lining, you can reuse the pattern, though without the extra length for the ruching.
4. Depending on your sewing skills and preferences, you can use a zig-zag stitch to pull everything together. Make sure that you sew it tight and strong; a rip will not do well in the beach. Attach the waistband, and you’re good to go!
Now you have a pair of unique high waisted swimwear that you can call absolutely yours. Who knows, you may even launch your own designer line someday.
Some Brands Which Offer High Waisted Bathing Suits
While sewing your way to the swimwear fashion industry, here are some great commercial brands to check out.
1. J. Crew’s sister store Madewell recruited NYC-based designer Mara Hoffman to make a suit that combines cut outs and a high-waisted bottom. The result – a supercool retro swimwear in a playful kaleidoscope of colors.
2. The vintage-inspired chain Free People have now ventured into the retro beachwear look as well. They have high waisted bikinis in florals and color-blocked patterns, among other designs. You can even zoom in closely to the pictures and peruse every inch of the item before purchasing.
3. Retro retailer Mod Cloth dedicated an entire section of its site to high-waisted bikinis – a dedication which makes them a perfect candidate for your swimwear shopping.
Love them or hate them, high waisted bathing suits are back in their classic allure ,with a modern twist which makes them even more interesting.
Incoming search terms:
- high waisted bathing suits
- high waisted swimwear
- high waisted bikini
- high waisted bathing suit
- high waisted bathing suit bottoms
- cheap high waisted bathing suits
- vintage bikini
- high waist bikini
- high waisted bathing suits cheap
- high waisted bikinis